Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back home....Mariela-less (But with Judge's Signature!)

One thing was accomplished-we did receive the signature that we needed. But it was not just the judge's signature, as it was the judge, her assistant and the secretary of the courthouse. So, all papers were signed yesterday, and today they start the notification process. No one knows the exact timeframe, but they deliver (keyword: courier service/snail-mail/takes forver) a notification to Semillas, the PGN, CNA and MP. Once notified, they can sign and say they have no issues, or wait out the 3 day period. So that takes up this week. Then monday, they should issue the final resolution and Tuesday would be the lucky day! TUESDAY IS MARIELA'S SECOND BIRTHDAY!

I guess I am hesitant, since they always say a date and it seems to take twice as long. Hence the reason I am back home, typing here at work, trying to make up for the days we lost this week.

I received a beautiful e-mail (in addition to all my other comments and e-mails from family and friends) from another prior Semillas adoptive parent. She told of this wonderful story about signs and births of families. Something her daughter said to her one starry evening, led her to believe another family was being born. And it is, just not quite together yet.

I spent all of Monday morning sorting my frantic thoughts and trying to enjoy the country ride to Chimaltenango to check with the judge. I was trying to piece things together and find my sign. I looked for combinations of Mariela's birthdate, letters of her name, shooting stars (kind of a long shot midday) - mainly ANYTHING that God said "Hey, I am looking out for you and got you covered."

But nothing. Nothing all weekend, nor monday...until Tuesday. I am in tears at the airport sitting, pouting, mad at the world and waiting for my plane to take be on a one-way trip back to misery (if you know me, I am exaggerating a bit, since today it is all better) when I see my sign. I just catch part of an advertisement on a column in the airport:

LA ESPERA

It translates to wait or pending. And that was my sign. Wait. So, alas, that is what we do. Obey the signs and wait. Thanks, God, I needed that. I wanted a sign, and I got it.

Last story, since this post is getting lenthy, but Juan is such a wonderful friend and husband, this is our last conversation about adoption and this whole mess with the judge right before we boarded:

We likened the judge signing to a wedding. You get all the necessary preperations - the dress, the groom, the bride, the hymns, the documents, priest/judge/pastor, etc. So, you are there. Then someone comes up to you and says "Hey, wait a minute, are you sure about this? Are you really, really sure." And you answer, "Yes, I am sure. I mean, why not? I have everything?". So they say, "Let's wait just a half hour so you can calm down and think clearly."

So, you wait. Then it is 7 pm, the sun has gone down and it is too late for a day wedding. So, they tell you, "I am so sorry. But now it is too late, another wedding has arrived and we need to postpone. So, take this opportunity and sleep on it. Sleep on it and maybe tomorrow you will be more sure or feel different."

And that is the story. This is how this has been. You are there - ready and WAITING. Then, they need to delay and give anyone all the opportunities to allow this adoption to be stopped. And we wait. But, today at least, I get to wait it out with my Semillas friends, my family and friends and Juan. And now I just wait for the sign that says:
NOW

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Praying that sign comes really soon!!

Erin said...

Yeahhh for the judges signature!!!! You are one step closer...bless you guys for having such patience - I know Mariela will be home soon!


July 2008 family photo