Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another year bites the dust

We started this journey in 2007 and now, we are seeing another year go by. I am heartbroken but steadfast in our beliefs that Mariela belongs home with us. If God thinks I am not patient enough, I will continue to be paitient (I said patient, not QUIET). I whispered to Mariela before I left, that I would be back and she will not be left there. Shortly after that, she turned around waved and waddled on over to the playground thinking we were following her. I had to stay behind and let her go one last time.




I sit here thinking of her little passport and visa with her picture with pigtails. I am thinking of all the wonderful gifts we received this Christmas on her behalf: talking cell phones and cameras, a stroller (which made me cry, since we are going to have to use it for Abbey in the meantime if we want to practice), bilingual nursury rhyme book, dolls-dolls-dolls and so many more things. They are all there waiting in her room for her final arrival home. The joy of the holidays definately has been overshadowed by our dissapointment of her not being here.




I was sad yesterday when my mother-in-law gave us a book of her journey. It had all the places for her birth (which we obviously were not at) and all the months up until her first birthday. I have pictures stashed everywhere of each month's photos we recieved via e-mail. And I realized we missed her first birthday - and I am hearbroken to think we could even miss her 2nd birthday if we don't get that paper soon.


I have to say also, I got to meet a dear friend of mine that I met on this journey. On the way to my grandparent's house, I convinced my family to take a detour in Columbia, MO. I knocked on Mary's door and introduced myself in person for the first time. We have only talked via phone and e-mails, but her internet forum group for Semillas, has been the lifeline for our journey. It gives us a place to inform one another and stay together as a group. She gave us a wonderful gift, and I am thankful to have met - FINALLY! Her two, beautiful children (both from Semillas) are absolute dolls and gives me great strength to know the journey is worth the wait.

Wishing all my friends and family a wonderful New Year and to many more things to come to all of us. I am thankful you have been here for us, and one of these days, we will not have to talk about all of this anymore and can talk about something else. I pray that day is near.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Wishing you guys a belated Merry Christmas. I certainly KNOW that 2009 will bring GREAT things to you all!

~Emily said...

I think of you often and am always checking in. I know it is of little consolation but 2009 will be the best year ever! I was surprised to see on the listerv that there are still over 800 cases. What the heck?!?

Anonymous said...

Well, I made your blog!!! How is it going? I'm sort of out of things, final changes and cleaning before putting the house on the market next week!


July 2008 family photo