Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Aftermath and a Month in the Making




Being back at daycare has not been so wonderful for Mariela. As I turn into the school driveway, a small wimper starts to unfold. Then the tears come out as the seatbelt is unbuckled and as we walk in the door, she is reaching out for anyone that is walking in the opposite direction of where we are walking. She is all smiles when I pick her up, but the seperation anxiety is there and we are hoping it wears off soon.

Easter was wonderful - too long and too short all in one swoop. It is hard to get back in the routine even after a few short days of way too much fun. I have found jelly beans in every nook in my house - I guess Abbey did not like the licorice ones but Mariela did. She had such a great time with the grandparents and nina! Note: She only put the bunny ears on after Abbey had them on and Nina. Poor Abbey!

I started writing this post a day or so after Easter, and am just now getting to wrapping it up here on Friday (yes, it is that kind of week)! We just found out news the other day that her day care is closing down after 28 years in business - not sure if it is the economy, but the owner is finally retiring. I was furious that they even let us enroll Mariela just 2 weeks ago, but I have since gotten off my "mean chair" and have put her on waiting lists other places. I have until the end of may to relocate her.


I am truly sad...I am thinking to a month ago when my daughter shoved handfuls of food in her mouth, could not understand how to sit down and turn the pages of a book, who would throw tantrums and throw her head back full force onto the floor....the list goes on. I am even more heart broken that so many of her friends still remain in Guatemala. The criminal judge and the children's judge and other interested parties (CNA, PGN, etc.) are still at odds over the procedure and have had jurisdictional issues releasing the remaining cases. I have friends that's children still remain stuck in PGN for now a year - and other families with approved cases since last spring that still cannot be united....my heart breaks over frustration of little advocacy and rights of these children.



Today, we have a two-year old who understands what it is to have love each and every day from her family. She wakes up, grabs her blanket and looks for Abbey to give her a kiss. She helps us get her dressed, brushes her teath and drinks her milk. She now feeds herself, says "cool" for "school" and at least walks herself into the school - then she abruptly turns around and runs for the door. But she sits at class, she brings her books to our room at night (the little librarian in her) and sits to read them.

My little love has found sunglasses and now that she has her own pair, she takes them to eat with her. We had to sit through breakfast and lunch with her and her glasses. I guess it was a late night and an early morning...she knows we think it is funny. What a world of difference a month has made! We finally see Mariela out of her shell and ready to take on the world - as she knows it from behind her glasses.


4 comments:

Kim said...

Telissa, she gets cuter and cuter every single day! What a blessing our little girls are. I hope and pray that the other parents waiting for their children can be reunited soon.

As for the daycare. Girl, you have a RIGHT to be furious! Those types of business practices are never right. Not to mention all the other transitions Mariela has had to make and now this. Really, unforgiveable.

Vanessa said...

I pray for the families and children still stuck in the battle of the government in Guatemala! Hopefully it will come to an end soon and more children can come home!
Glad to see things are looking up:)

~Emily said...

I hear you about introducing her to new daycare. Bless her little heart. No chance you could just get a caregiver to stay at the office with her or at your home???

HB said...

She is just too cute! I love her little smile, you can tell she's so happy!

I can't believe the daycare let you enroll. That is not acceptable in my book...I'd say report them to the BBB, but they're not remaining in business so I guess that doesn't affect them much, does it?! ARG!
Maybe a new place will have a different vibe and she will look forward to it more, with less anxiety!

Keep updating the pics, we love to see her!


July 2008 family photo