Monday, May 11, 2009

I know...slacker MOM!



Our lives have been consumed by a little biting, 2 year old (i'll get to that later) and by work and by her swingset from HELLO - is there one more board or screw or instruction that takes you to nowhere?? In addition, it is a little difficult to help Juan construct something, while this one has to be pushed every 10 seconds on her swing. And if she is not content screaming to be pushed, then she is trying to assist with the constuction site....you can see how helpful she is! (In the picture on the right, the instructions are upside down)!


Mariela has now figured out that she loves water. She takes baths on her belly or back and now she runs outside and points to her head for you to spray her. Excuse the swimwear (or lack thereof), as it was an impromptu session of "Spray me with the hose" game. Abbey also decided to take advantage for the free fresh water by licking her leg instead of drinking from the fountain.




We are still in our "Beans are my favorite!" stage. So, when all else fails, I just pull out the can opener and simmer a pot of black beans. Just makes her day- I said makes her day, not mine!!! The aftermath is a killer!









Besides that, we are on the fourth week of construction of the multiple phase backyard playset. Thanks to grandma and grandpa's kind donation/birthday gift/loving gift to Mariela, we purchased a swingset for Mariela. The swing part is in the main yard and the two towers are going to go in a little side yard that has a bit more shade for those 100 degree summer days here in sunny eternity! Here are the two of them taking a little breather and playing around.





Mother's day was like every other day for the past two months since she has been home - wonderful. She has started early childhood intervention with a social worker who is teaching her sign language. What a difference a week has made!! Instead of screaming and throwing a tantrum, she signs for more, for milk, for bed and for food. We have our moments, we have our tears, but most of all - we have one another - something that we dreamed of for two long, draining years. She is my love and when I tell her that 50 times a day, she just looks and laughs. Someday she will know what it means.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh how I know how you feel Telissa. I must kiss Kate a thousand times a day. I often wonder if that is even normal? I just think I am making up for the 18 months I did not get to kiss her sweet face.

Good luck on the swingset. I don't envy you that task. We are looking into swingsets for Kate now. When we drive past the many parks she yells "Wing, Wing" and "Slide, Slide!" How come before we had children we never noticed how many parks there were?

Erin said...

First of all - you are not a slacker mom - you are a great mom making up for lost time! Hope you had a wonderful mother's day! Glad to hear that the sign language is working well for you guys. We used it with Isaac because his speech was pretty delayed and it was the one thing that helped us get over the 2 year old tantrums. Kids can pick up those signs so quickly and I remember it being so fun to finally communicate with him!

Nat said...

LOVE the new photos! Stella's 2 yr old tantrums are a KILLER these days...but i love her, tantrums or not-obviously! i've been a slacker in the blog front too lately-life gets in the way sometimes and i wouldn't want it any other way :)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. She is an agel from above. I know a toddler will totally assume every secong. I am learning that myself but it all good. love ya and take care.

Buffy said...

its me buffy that wrote the comment sorry..can you tell I have a few monutes to get all emails done before he wakes up lol

HB said...

blogging is SO the last priority! You're doing exactly what you should be... totally spoiling that little girl! glad to see she enjoys helping out and playing in the water... we're going to try out the pool sometime in the next couple of weeks. hopefully if it's like her bath she'll love it!
Maybe Mariela can join her sometime???? hint...hint...


July 2008 family photo