Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Small Update on Birth Certificate and Other Issue

Yes, we have been waiting 80 DAYS FOR OUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Yes, it is difficult to see some people get theirs in 20 days or 2 days. Yes it is difficult to see people who have probably paid bribes to our city Mixco and get theirs in several weeks - yet, we sit and wait. We will be calling again today to see if the papers actually made it. WHY CAN'T SOMEONE JUST HELP US OUT AND LET US GO???

Our paper's errors were corrected and our attorney supposedly couriered them to Guatemala City yesterday. If that actually happened, we have to wait 15 days for them to issue the approval. When they issue the approval, the attorney will take the documents back to Mixco for them to issue our Birth Certificate in just a few hours. My attorney is beyond words at this point in my eyes, but I am trying to continue my patience and hope for the best, so I can be holding my daughter before the end of the year.

Maybe we'll know something on October 28 AND I CAN ONLY KEEP PRAYING WE HAVE OUR CERTIFICATE BY THE END OF THIS MONTH. Once we have that document, we are three weeks from our visa appointment in the embassy in Guatemala City in order to bring her HOME!!!! She could possibly be here for Thanksgiving!!!

The other issue is sitting in the hands of the Ministerio Publico. The judge did not want to take the case and the MP will have to remove the holds. In order to do this, they not only had to complete another birthmother interview, but they needed to "investigate" each case. Our birthmother was interviewed in Monday and everything went fine. The MP is supposed to review the cases this week and hopefully begin to release the holds. It seems it is a few weeks out anyway.

I JUST WANT MARIELA HOME WITH US!!!

4 comments:

~Emily said...

This really is getting old. It must be so hard to see others move ahead and get their babes while you wait and watch all the crap. You are right about MIxco! I know a woman personally who got her Mixco birth certificate in 1 DAY. Yes, 1 day! I am SURE there was a bribe involved in addition to the fact that her lwayer had family in very high up places in government. I am glad ours was not from Mixco becuase I am afraid that I would have caved in and offered them $1000 to "rush" it. Many people aren't able to pay (and we are one of them) but when you have been waiting so long for your little one, you get desperate. Also, I think when people do pay Mixco, it begets more bribe expectations. I'm rambling and it is all too crazy and confusing to really absord anyway. Hang in there! ~Emily

Kim said...

Telissa~I am SO sorry you are having to endure wait, after wait. It is so frustrating. Keep the faith that Mariela will be home for Thanksgiving. Sending you lots of hugs from chilly Minnesota!

Stacie said...

I'm so sorry you are still waiting...it just seems like these cases take a step forward only to fall back. I will be praying that you will hear some good news soon!

Daphne said...

I just read about your situation from your guatadopt post. I'm sorry and I hope you get some good news soon.


July 2008 family photo