Friday, January 18, 2008

Nine months of waiting for free car washes?

Nine months to the waiting parent means the wait is over. As adoptive parents, it cannot be catagorized as the same, since you weren't "technically" there from the beginning. Yet, we found ourselves yesterday not in that same "9 month waiting" boat. Nine beautiful months of seeing Mariela's face here and there in the inbox, yet yesterday was not the day of suprise! After being a little disheartened, I was thinking over the book I was reading - Eat, Pray, Love. If you have not read the book, and without explaining the entire scenerio, this woman has lost faith. She is remembering all the things she has prayed for, feeling that many have been left unanswered. Then the prayers might seem ridiculous, so she and a lot of us almost stopped praying altogether.


I remember when it all started, I found myself like all adoptive parents that were wanting to believe that they were on the last leg of our journey, that maybe by some devine intervention, luck/faith/anything would bring our children home before Christmas. So, like the normal, finger-crossing, God believing, individual, I prayed that we would be together at Christmas.



Bam!!


And we were! We were together, just not on my territory, but even better, we were on hers. So, my renewed faith has proven to be quite a spirit lifter. But, I find myself cautious. All those e-mails enlisting you to sign up for a sweepstakes, or school children offering raffle tickets - I DON'T WANT ONE!! I do, but if you are one of those people that have never hardly won anything in your life, you don't want to waste cashing in that one lucky raffle ticket. I would rather cash my lucky token in on bringing her home. I have nightmares that the day before my luck would be to get out of PGN, that I win a year of free car washes. I DON'T WANT A YEAR OF FREE CAR WASHES!

So, I am putting all my luck into one basket to get our little one home. We have to live by our words and those around us.
"There is just one life for each of us: our own." - Euripides

1 comment:

Kim said...

I sure hope your wait isn't much longer than the nine months it has been. We need to get those little girls home with their Mommies!


July 2008 family photo